Friday, October 28, 2005

The song that never was

Last night,I had a dream where I could hear a song. And I talked about this song, there was something special about the piano that was playing in the background,so i explained that to someone in the dream. It must have been interesting, and it could have been turned into a song in real life. But when i awoke from this dream,i was too sleepy to write the dream down,or to get up and play it on the keyboard. Too bad...because songs that come out of dreams are often very dreamy,versatile and coltish...if that's the right word.

I remember several songs that came out of my dreams. In 2000,i woke up one morning,it was on a weekend and i had slept in,and i had this melody in my mind. Just a faint sound. Three notes. But it turned into a song that I still call one of the best i've written so far. I didn't record it yet,it's something i wanted to save for when i'm more experienced with recording.

Some years later,i dreamed about a song again. In the dream,i thought it was a New Order song,so it was sad that it was already "taken". When i woke up,i realized it was created in my sleeping mind. So i took it as the verse melody for a song that i had already started writing. As far as i remember,the dream already had lyrics that fit to the song that i was working on,so it was a verse written for this song during sleep.

The most impressive song-creating dream i ever had was many months ago,but not years ago yet. It was before i knew i would meet Marit Larsen,before i even knew it would be really possible to meet her. In that dream, she was sitting on a bed,with a guitar in her hand. It took place in a small room,i think the walls were green. Behind her was a window. Somehow,she was having visitors, or maybe i was the only one there,i don't know. But what i never forgot was how she,the girl with the blonde hair, sang and played the guitar. She sang a song,so beautiful it could have made me cry,even after i woke up. It was impressive. My idol sang for me. When i woke up, i wrote everything down. I had melodies for verse and chorus,plus some lyrics for the verse and lyrics for the chorus. So it was quite complete. The last line before the chorus,something i still remember her sing,was "sometimes i commit myself,sometimes i let it go". You have to know,at that time,i didn't know if these lyrics made any sense at all. But it looks like it does make sense...usually,when someone sings in a dream in a foreign language,then it doesn't necessarily make sense. Anyway,the chorus was just yippie-ya-yay all over,but not in a happy way. It's more like a sad chorus,trying to show the superficiality of this hurray hurray world that isn't so hurray at all. That's how I interpreted it. In some way,it feels like this is more Marit's than my song. Haha...too bad i didn't mention this to her when i met her.

There were other dreams of this kind. I just thought i'd mention this. Maybe,if i had written down dreams more diligently,i would now have a new song in my list. A future #1 hit. A song that changed the world. Or nothing at all. Who knows what impact a song can have, and what changes when it's stillborn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, using a wheelchair for a couple hours. do your arms feel tired?
Songs in your sleep. I've never had those dreams, just had sleepwalking before.