Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Stone age people


Another massacre happened. The first thing I did when I read the headline was just laugh, because it said "the massacre of the Celebis shocks Turkey". Well, Celebi is a Pokemon. What's wrong with Turkey? They have so much Batman, Celebi, whatever else that has to do with stuff that you only see on the screen.

Anyway, it's a sad topic nevertheless. The only thing I don't really understand is why it's always the Turkish people who go crazy like that. I'm not saying that Germans never do that. It happens. And especially in school massacres, it's almost always Germans. Reminds me of what my brother said to his classmates:" Be careful, school shooters are friendly and quiet, I might turn out to be one of them". And they answered:"No... you're not friendly". Haha.

Okay, back to the topic. I think something is seriously wrong with the Turkish people. Here in Germany, when there are family-related homicides/killings/murders, it's so often people with Turkish background that it is significant. The problem is a mixture of culture, religion and tradition. You cannot get around that. Just take a place on earth where people are so strict they always follow the same traditional, religion-based rules for many, many years. These people are so bound by the traditions and rules that it causes a lot of dissatisfaction. In some way, they do not progress into a civilised community. If there were no more effective ways of killing people, they would still throw stones at each other.
This massacre happened because a man wanted to marry a woman, but the woman's father said no. It's as simple as that. If there was a woman's freedom of choice, it would have been only the woman who had been killed. But if there had not been any stupid traditions at all, nobody would have been killed anyway.

I just don't get it. This whole idea that you can just punish anyone to death who doesn't share someone else's opinion is just so deep in their culture and religion. I wish I could say it differently because I'm a big friend of people. I strongly encourage everyone to be individual and I am for respect among people of all different backgrounds. But it would be naive to just accept everything as "different culture" or "different religion". That's the problem nowadays. You can not be politically correct and at the same time fight for equality among people, justice, fairness, whatever. These things exclude each other.

Somehow it's also strange that these things happen in Turkey. Because this country did at least some things right. It is one of only few islamic countries that are strictly secular. State and religion are two things, although they assume you are muslim unless you tell them otherwise. And of course there are disadvantages for christians, etc. But at least they understood something.

Well... I'm not sure if anything is going to change. It might as well go on like that in some countries. Resistance against change is a great source of evil sometimes. We should know better, but we don't... or maybe they don't. I'm just glad as long as I don't come across people in my country where the boyfriend says "don't look at my woman" if I only serve her in customer service etc.

No comments: