Sunday, November 02, 2008

Tired mind, unused body

What a day. Many things happened although or because I spend most of the time at the computer, hours and hours of it. I almost cried once, felt angry, felt discouraged, felt helpless, and now I feel tired. And everything is connected. Whatever you want to be towards a person, it has to stay in balance and go back and forth between them. If it's missing on one side, how can it come from the other side?

First I want to purge my soul with the usual rant about stuff in the media. I once mentioned this Bully guy, the comedian who went to court because a computer game carries the same name that he uses for himself. Yesterday I read he lost, which is what I expected and hoped for. Was there nobody of his rich friends who saw that coming? Well, I'm not going to to to court against all the love song writers even if I call myself Mr. Love.

There was a news article about Kim Jong Il. First it made a very neutral impression, they're wondering what's up with him. Some pictures showed him obviously watching a football match, but there seem to be no pictures with him AND the match in one picture, so people suspect the pictures are old ones. Some hours later, the headline suddenly says "new pictures: is Kim Jong Il dead?". A more drastic headline, but the article is still the same. "Dead" is a good word. If only there were rumours about him having cut off his head, that would be much better for them.

Before the last Formula 1 race of the season, they showed some clips on tv about other events when the last race of the season brought the decision. And there was once when the guy on tv said "Fuji, Japan". That made my blood boil because it was not Fuji in 1990, it was Suzuka. Dammit! Yes, they were right about Fuji 1976, and they even got it that it was Adelaide in 1994 and not Melbourne, but why this silly mistake? Fuji was in the calendar in 1976 and 1977, but after that no more until 2007. It has been only two seasons with Fuji being back, and they already can't remember Suzuka any more?
Why do these people get a job that broadcasts Formula 1? I was 7 years old when the incident at Suzuka was, and even I know that it was there. I didn't even watch the races back then. Why do I know more than these people? Does it mean I am also allowed to know less about my job? I don't think so.
There is also no excuse, even if the mistake is small. RTL has been televising F1 since at least 1992, that's the earliest cassette I have seen. They have to know their facts. But hardly one race passes where I don't get angry at someone's unqualified comments. And I also see things on the tv screen a lot earlier than they realise it in their seats.

So Hamilton is world champion unless he gets disqualified in the next couple of minutes. You never know. The big loser this year was the FIA with its decisions to penalize everyone for every mistake. In 1989, 1990 and 1994, the world championships were decided by accidents. Nowadays, if that happens the driver who is responsible will be disqualified and lose all points of the season, as happened in 1997. But what I don't like is where they draw the line. Every contact that leads to a spin is already worth an investigation. And I can tell you, in the 90s there were no display flashes saying "incident involving car x is being investigated". It's a shame.
Apart from that, it was quite a nice season. I still fell asleep during some races, but some others were great. The new race tracks were all great, and the final lap of the final race decided who won. It was good. Now I have to wait until March, I guess, before I see another race. I wonder what else I will know then that I don't know now.

I don't know what else to say now. I don't feel very confident about going to work tomorrow although I said to myself on Friday that it might be the best job I had so far. I just don't have so much confidence at the moment. I wish I could have some days off again and just retreat from everything... and with everything, I probably mean how it feels at the moment.

No comments: