Friday, September 22, 2006

M2M day

September 22nd sunday 25 after 9

This is a quote from a song by M2M. A band that didn't know when they wrote that song that they would break up on exactly that day,some years later. But let's not deal with the breakup that was exactly 4 years ago. What makes M2M day special is the memory of the band M2M and not the memory of their end (that led to them being reborn as solo artists,which had its advantages too). M2M changed my life and I think I've said that before. Sometimes I wonder how I should feel when i think of them. Should I be thankful to them? Maybe I should because they made many sweet moments possible for me. But then again, they don't even know what they did,neither did they intend it to happen. And perhaps they were just destiny's little tool to make miracles happen. Whatever the truth is,fact is it's because of them that so much happened in my life.

What some of you,the ones who know me, don't know is that I had a strong feeling about M2M from the beginning. This is not me making things up. I don't have supernatural powers and can't predict the future,like some people can, but with M2M I always had a strange feeling. I was fascinated by them and it was more than the music itself. I always had this feeling that they would somehow make a difference for me. It gives me chills to follow the traces back...back to 1999 when i found out about them. I can still see the pictures on the tv screen back at my grandpa's place. I don't think that was the first time,maybe it was even the second time. I don't know...but when their first hit single was presented their only for some seconds, I thought "It's them...they are recommending their song on tv". It's strange that I remember this so clearly. And what it brought me was hard to believe. So much happened between 1999 and now,and I want to lay it out for you to read:

1999 was the end of the worst time of my life. And strangely it was just then,after this bad time,that M2M appeared on the stage of my life. August had been the worst time ever,and then i just stopped all this and escaped to meet my grandpa and dad. Maybe it was september,maybe october 1999. Around that time "Don't say you love me" became popular around the world. But not here in germany...the fact that i even learned about M2M in the first place is already a little miracle. But the first thing they changed in my life was to inspire me with their sweet, harmonic music.

In 2000 and 2001, I had them at the back of my mind. Once in a while they appeared in my head, and after buying the Pokemon soundtrack that featured their most famous song, I decided to invest more into M2M and buy their CDs. I also spend time at Marit's board reading her diary. They kept inspiring me somehow.

2002. The breakup. It was strange how it ended so soon. Anyway, I remember that I must have bought "The big room" around that time. It was a different kind of music but after some time,i discovered the sweetness. It was also the year when i started recording songs in a studio. And M2M made it possible to arouse the dream in me of making music. It wasn't M2M's music as such,it was more the magic in it.

In 2003 I made the big step into Marit's board as I first chatted in her chatroom,then registered at the boards in early 2004. I didn't know back then that all I could ever ask for would happen there...in this digital place. I spend a lot of time in 2004 and 2005 reading, posting, checking back. And I made so many friends there. Some of them would still be there years later, and it wasn't just friendship sometimes.

2005 was a year that will always be strange history for me. First I found out that falling in love with someone from the internet can be risky and hurt a lot,though i appreciated the experience,but then,at a second attempt, it worked. And it was someone i met at Marit's board. Things started to make sense,and I understood why M2M had been so meaningful to me. Another crazy thing happened. After many months of planning, I decided to go to norway where M2M are from. My first plan was to go there, find Marit somehow with tricks and lots of not-so-nice methods, and if i didn't succeed,I'd just live with it and enjoy being in a beautiful country. Then it seemed like hope was lost,but a few days before the trip I met Marit in her chatroom. Strangely,it was only around that time that she finally got interested in visiting her chatroom. I had waited to talk to her for so long. She liked the idea of meeting me, something not every celebrity would do. So we made an appointment and met. So just for the record: I met my biggest idol. One of the things that connect me to M2M.

2006 was in some way more crazy,because now it was time to meet the love I had found at Marit's board. I did,and many of you (who reads this anyway?) know the rest. It worked. I'm not saying that the story is over here and that my life will be a fairytale. But I can only say up to now it's a story that you usually wouldn't even hear from hollywood writers. And as the tip of the iceberg, they played an M2M song when I met her,my girl. What a coincidence. But coincidence is not the word anyway.

This is the story as short as possible. I wouldn't be mad at you if you didn't believe me this all happened. I don't believe it either. But since that happened, I know that this world is not made up of coincidences,accidents,or gas clouds forming a planet out of nothingness. At least not without something going on somewhere. There are powers that we don't understand. And even though it goes much further than we know, this little band,this duo of two girls, this little tool of destiny will be my small reminder that we are not totally "alone" with our life.

I wonder what my life would have been like if I had been born in a war country. I ask myself why things are so different there. What are the miracles that happen to them? Not being hit by a bomb? Just escaping death? Is that what they call miracles? What stories do they have to tell and why are they unlucky compared to me? Questions over questions. And then it comes back to me, why is it so open...why can anything happen to anyone?

I don't believe that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. These children out there are all innocent. So why am I lucky? Where will my luck end? I could ask forever.

What's left to me is to look back. I don't need to be nostalgic,you know. There is nothing to feel sorry about for me. Yes, M2M is over but we have the result of their work here. We have friends,lovers, precious memories we can't buy for any money in the world. That's only possible in movies where you can make a virtual trip to Mars.

Good luck to you, girls. You made my life, i guess.

3 comments:

Ira Roslan said...

Beautiful :)

M2M was something new to me and something sweet. You remember how I came across them the first time. It was a matter of whether I had noticed it or not. There was a far bigger chance of me not noticing the tiny caption at one corner of a magazine (that I never read) than a chance of me noticing. Or I'd notice but couldn't be bothered. But I did notice... that day wasn't the best day of my life but that was what made all the difference.

Aaron said...

I didn't think you'd be this nostalgic about them, even though I'm well aware of their importance in your life. I think they'd be proud if they read this entry of yours. And I'm glad to have you as a fellow fan, because in my opinion, our kind is a dying breed on earth.

Anonymous said...

that was an amazing story and i believe every word, your lucky you got to meet her! lol M2M are still amazing, i listen to them every day but also to their solo's they hve both changed to much in 5 years! amazing story anyways mate :)