Thursday, November 02, 2006

The decay of values

Almost winter...

It snowed today for the first time this year, at least in my area. And Halloween was recently too. I know some people like the new customs that have been coming up here in europe (Desi) but I'm against it. My english teacher described it in the best way: "Halloween is how the Americans teach their children how capitalism works".

It used to be a day of remembering the dead, now it's just another commercial holiday just like valentine's day (i don't need to explain what i think about that day,do i?). The only thing I like about Halloween is the horror movies that they don't seem to show so much any more, instead it's rather family entertainment. But I do like pumpkin soup.

Speaking of tv, that's the next thing I want to complain about. It's fascinating how decadent this society is. I just watched tv, some infotainment show that's supposed to inform people about science, nature and all that stuff. And what did they show this time, between 7 and 8pm? Well... a very half-true report on the female orgasm. And no, it was not that much scientific. It was disgusting. All the time they had this camera view going through keyhole,then there was something that I would call a sex scene (not the toughest stuff but not what I would want my kids to watch either), then came something pseudo-scientific, then the next keyhole scene. My goodness, what has this world become. It was quarter past 7 in the evening.

What else can I complain about? There can be many things, I guess. Mostly it's how terribly fast everything is falling apart. The moral on tv, the german language, human values... crazy. My mum's pedicurist lately told her some horror stories too. One about a cat he had to kill because half it's body had been smashed in a car accident. The other one was more gruesome. A couple in his family had aborted a child because her husband had said he didn't want a third child, then she felt guilty and woops, now she's pregnant again. Let me recapulate: A couple has two children, they don't give the slightest shit about prevention, she becomes pregnant, gets her unborn child removed, feels guilty and then, probably on purpose, gets pregnant again to replace the child that spooks around in her mind because she killed it. I'm not one of the people who are as fundamental as to say that abortion is murder, but in some cases I just think: I'm worried about the future of this planet. If people are so free of intelligence, so free of common sense, then what must their parents have done wrong? More importantly: What's the next generation going to be like? Will most crimes become normal because there's no one who cares any more? Is everything okay then?

I'm lucky if I don't need to see that happen. I don't expect the generation after me to move away from their seats on a bus when an old man like me comes and needs a seat urgently. I don't expect them to be nice to me either. But I have to expect much more than I can imagine. One of the reasons why young people nowadays should seriously think about education before they get kids...coz the society doesn't contribute much to a good character. It's either the parents or no one at all.

I could go on and on. Some things in this world are ridiculous. Religion could be one of them, but I guess it won't help me if I think about this again. I have my opinion and I don't think that I have to be ashamed of it. And the other things... well, many people will think that I exaggerate. Maybe I do, but what I do primarily is to scetch a picture of how the world behaves...it's not totally accurate but you might realize how close it gets when you are the one who's affected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hei Michael :o)
About remembering the dead. In Norway this is the first Sunday in November. It is a day of remembrance of the dead, marked by placing candles and wreaths on their graves. What we in Norway call "Allehelgens dag". (All souls day) :o) So it's not like Halloween is taking over this tradition. But yup, I understand what you mean.

Mighty Mike said...

We also have that day here, though I would translate "Allerheiligen" as All saints' day. I didn't mean to say that halloween took over that tradition,but in fact what halloween was in the first place (in Ireland) was that all saints' day that it no longer is since it came over to America. What I don't like is how an American tradition gets so big here once again...as if europeans don't have their own culture any more...why do we need to be so american?

yelly said...

Because Americans love to force things on people.
That, or companies just want to make money off on girls buying skimpy outfits.
The world as we know it, is gone.
How to get it back? Impossible, IMO, unless you get some conservatives and reteach everyone. Even then, you gotta move everything back 20 years.
And on part of religion on previous post, I think it is safe to say you should avoid my posts now cause I might talk about Christianity every now and then :p