After posting about my troubles with Facebook (here and there), I am now facing more annoyances with another major internet company, Google.
Youtube doesn't allow me to monetize my video with my own music!
At first, I thought the problem had to do with free samples that were used in the song. Basically, when you make electronic music, everything that is not recorded directly with a microphone is a sample. Every note you play (piano, synth, organ etc.) is a sample because you don't actually play a real piano or organ or flute, you play sounds (samples) that were recorded once and can be played at different frequencies.
However, I used free samples that were longer (like loops, but as synth instruments) and are recognizable in other songs, where the same samples are used. But this does not mean that I steal from other songs. It's the same as saying playing a single piano note is ripping off John Lennon's "Imagine" because he also used a piano there.
Then, I found out that samples and all that technical stuff aren't even the problem. The problem is Youtube itself. They simply scan for anything that has music in the video, and if the music sounds remotely professional (=good), then they instinctively or automatically believe that the music must be a rip-off of someone else's music. At least that's what I believe.
Then they are scared shitless and demand full documentation of the copyright. This can lead to Youtube telling you to send a letter of the original artist... so you are asked to write a letter to youtube in which you allow yourself to use your own music. Ridiculous.
The worst thing about the whole "Youtube does not monetize my own content" is that you are permanently talking to a robot. Yes... You write to youtube that you want your video to be monetized because it is your own work, but you never get to talk to a person, it's always standardized text messages you get.
It's sad but that's the way it is.
Now I'm trying to learn some tricks that might allow me to get these things out of the way.
Edit: I think I found the solution!