Saturday, March 31, 2007

Message from above or just a weird dream?

I want to write down a dream that I had last night, and discuss it here a little. There were several dreams, but the most fascinating one was saved until the morning. I woke up at 9:50am, and that was when this dream ended. Now I will tell the dream first:

You hear a choir of high voices (probably a choir of young boys). They sing a song which is unknown to me and was possibly generated by my brain. "Veo, veo, veo" (spanish for "I see"). They keep singing this all the time with orchestral accompaniment in the background. Then a voice reads the following words:

"The sheepherders slew their sheep; and even the ones who read the quran, their sheep were not safe from their staffs."

The next thing you see is a quran, then a person kneeling in front of it. You see more of them. You see several people, mostly men, performing prayers in a pampa/desert like hill area. It is very dark and it seems to be their morning prayer.

And so the dream fades, with the same theatrical, pathetic, religious, almost "holy" music playing in the background. The atmosphere has caused awe in me.

If this dream had happened to someone hundreds of years ago, the person who had the dream would have thought it must be a dream from above, a religious message. Nowadays you wonder what it is, is it that or just something coming from inside of you. No matter what it is, a dream always has a function and when it's so enigmatic, it also has a message.

Let's go to dream analysis. One thing that you should not do is to think what many books suggest: That sheep means X, snake means Y and crocodile means Z. There are only very few dream figures that have a universal meaning for everyone, but animals usually have an individual meaning for each person. In this dream though, it's pretty clear. The dream is an allegory, at least to some point. The meaning of "sheep" and "sheepherders" is the same that it has in the bible and possibly in the quran. The sheepherders must be religious leaders, the sheep are the common believers. The words that are read out in the dream suggest that it is a quote from one of the holy books. It is even possible that my subconscious mind quoted a passage that really exists, even if my conscious mind does not remember hearing it. If it's made up, it still says a lot but the message is not clear.

It says: All sheepherders beat their sheep to death. And even the muslim sheepherders beat their sheep to death. Therefore, nobody is safe.

I'm trying to understand what it means. First I thought that it must express a prejudice against islam, but I'm not so sure about that because the general message is that nobody can be saved from those religious leaders. Islam is mentioned explicitly as one of the religions whose leaders are dangerous to the followers, but it is not only "against islam". Maybe this passage is intended to suggest that there is a time when sheep should learn to think independent.

I'm not sure what to say about the rest of the dream. There is this spiritual music, I think it emphasizes the importance of the dream. The people who pray on the hills, they express an image of a time many centuries ago when the words were written down, so they stand for the past. The text itself is a link to the future, because what is says is something that I think might happen long after those guys pray there. I also remember that the voice that spoke these words even mentioned where it was written, but I don't clearly remember... but it probably originated from my mind anyway.

I will have to think about this dream.

No comments: